Turtle Survival Center (Turtle Survival Alliance)
Friday, November 6, 2020
The Turtle Survival Alliance works globally to conserve tortoises and freshwater turtles. With programs and projects in Belize, Colombia, Madagascar, and throughout Asia, the Turtle Survival Alliance (TSA) transforms passion for turtles into effective conservation action with a goal of zero turtle extinctions in the 21st Century.
The primary purpose of this position is to provide day to day animal husbandry and to implement all policies and procedures associated with the living animal collection at the Turtle Survival Center (TSC) in Cross, South Carolina. This position has the secondary responsibilities of assistance with horticulture, and general facility maintenance of the TSC. This position reports to the Assistant Curator.
* Provide high standards of animal husbandry to a diverse group of critically endangered chelonians.
* Provide husbandry coverage to non-primary areas of responsibility as required (i.e; vacations, illness, days off).
* Open/close all areas (Primary and Secondary) at the TSC per policies and procedures in SOP
* Monitor animal health.
* Keep accurate animal records, including using the TRACKS animal management database.
* Maintain cleanliness of animal areas.
* Assistance with the establishment of and the implementation of effective quarantine protocols to reduce the risk of disease transmission within the collection.
* Propagate chelonians, including egg care and incubation.
* Assist with veterinary care procedures as needed.
* Assist with facility maintenance, construction, and renovation.
* Maintain landscape standards and practices.
* Supervision of students, interns and volunteers as needed.
* Help to ensure security of the facility by adhering to best practices and security guidelines as they are developed and implemented.
* Good communication skills are essential for this position. Responsibilities include:
* Communicating effectively with co-workers to address problems that may arise in a timely manner.
* Representing the Turtle Survival Alliance at volunteer and outreach events as needed.
* Other Duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND PRE-REQUISITES:
* High school diploma or GED. Bachelor degree preferred.
* At least 2 years of experience with a diverse assemblage of reptiles and amphibians.
* Experience with chelonians is preferred.
* Self-disciplined, highly motivated personality able to work independently as well as part of a team.
* Ability to operate small to moderate machinery (mowers, chainsaws, tractor, etc.) while maintaining a safe environment for themselves and others.
* Currently hold a valid state driver’s license with reliable transportation.
* Must be able to work in a hot, humid climate for extended periods of time.
* Must be able to accommodate a varying schedule with flexibility in mind.
* The Turtle Survival Alliance does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor. Women and minorities encouraged to apply.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
To apply, please send a Curriculum Vitae and a cover letter including salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to apply is Friday, November 6th.