Travel Grant Applications
17th Annual Symposium on the Conservation and Biology of Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles
The TSA believes that the diversity of people and projects that we support is an integral component of our success. This diversity is highlighted at the TSA / IUCN-TFTSGs Annual Symposium, sponsored by Zoo Med Laboratories, Inc., which has been touted as the conference to attend if you are serious about turtles. Now in its second decade, the Annual Symposium has exhibited upward growth, the past two years have brought together more than 300 turtle biologists representing more than 20 countries! Many students and foreign participants apply for supplemental funding to help them cover the costs of attending the conference. The TSA has a Travel Grants budget to assist with travel and room expenses because we know that getting together as one group is crucial to building collaborations through the sharing of ideas and new discoveries.
There are several points to remember:
· Applicants will only be considered if they have submitted an abstract for either an oral or poster presentation.
· The deadline for Travel Grant applications is the same as abstract submission: May 10, 2019. Student applicants may be required to share a room with as many as three other student applicants (maximum of four students per room). This is a great way to meet other students working in your field.
· Student grant recipients will be asked to contribute a minimum of four hours of volunteer time during the conference to help with various activities.
· Non-student applicants are encouraged to share a room with one other applicant. While not the sole criterion for awards, applicants who opt to room share will be given additional considerations.
· Only international applicants will be eligible for Travel Grants covering airfare.
Funded presenters are requested to bring an auction item which ideally should be something unique from your country or part of the world. The annual TSA auction, in part, funds presenter travel expenses. The item need not be large or expensive. In the past, relatively small, unique items have brought over $500 each at auction. Books, turtle souvenirs and artifacts are welcome, but no live animals are allowed.
Travel grants are made possible by our generous sponsors. For more information on sponsoring one or more travel grants, you can download our sponsorship packet HERE.